Tuesday 26 February 2013

First Post and my birthday

On this blog, I'm just going to talk about my everyday life, what I've been up to and if anything interesting has gone on.

Today for example, I decided to join Blogger.

At the moment I've decided to get two blogs on the go, one about my gaming and this one for every day life. I am also thinking of starting another for random bits like films and days out to tourist attractions. For now, I just need an idea for a name.

At the moment I am also hoping to start a YouTube channel in which I film my gaming experiences. I just need to get hold of some recording equipment and maybe something to run it.

The main topic for this post is going to be about my birthday. I turned 20 on the 19th February and then on the 21st I headed up to London with my girlfriend who had planned out a packed day. We had tickets for Madame Tussauds, the London Aquarium and the London Eye. Unfortunately it cost £17.40 to get to London and have a pass onto all of the tubes even though we were travelling no further than zone 1. First we headed to the ticket office at the London eye to collect the tickets but crossing the bridge, we had flowers wrapped in foil thrusted in our faces. The slightly crazy lady then demanded money to help the children, I'm all one for charity but I would rather have the choice to donate than being guilt tripped into it.

We decided to go to Madame Tussauds first. The queue was luckily not too long when we got there so it was only a 30 minute wait. For those of you who don't know what Madame Tussauds is, it is a collection of very accurate wax works of famous people. I was quite impressed with the likeness' of a lot of the models but for some reason I mainly wanted to see which celebrities I was taller than being just under 6 foot tall. We chose a rather busy day to go so it was hard to get clear photos of the models, looking back through them there are many random faces scattered throughout. There was also a horror section which we decided to skip as there was another queue for that and we wanted to make sure that we fitted everything in to one day. There was also a taxi section which was like a sit on ride with a history of London. The only problem with that was that the seats were very slippery and you ended up bundled in one corner after each slope. The best part was the 4D Marvel screening which was about 10 minutes long and showed off the new ideas for cinema. The experience included very high definition 3D and extras such as vibrating seats, jets of air, sprays of water and the chair poked you.. On the whole I would advise a visit, the staff said the best time of year is just after Christmas where they only get a couple of thousand people through a day (only?). The only hole I picked in the 4D experience is that the fourth dimension is technically time (I think) so really it was a 3D+ experience!

Next we headed to the aquarium which is right next to the London eye which had an empty priority ticket queue which we decided to make use of and head straight in! I was really looking forward to the aquarium as I really enjoyed the one in Portsmouth. Unfortunately the experience was ruined slightly by parents using their children as ploughs to the front of viewing areas. I know this may sound a little bit ranty but teaching children to push and shove to the front rather than waiting their turn seems like a bad idea - but what do I know? I'm not a Dad! Anyway, the aquarium was amazing, in particular I liked the terrapins and penguins. Terrapins are just awesome and the signs around the penguin exhibits were funny instructing you not to confront or move if you see a penguin on the loose! Biggest downer was the gift shop - there were no guides to take away as souvenirs.

This time on the London eye was number 3 for me, I'd been already with my parents and with the scouts when I was a member. The view from the top never lets you down. There are now Galaxy Tabs in the pods with electronic guides of the views. There was also a Dad trying to launch his child out the door but he seemed to enjoy it. We stood in the photo zone to get our picture taken but so did everyone else so we ended up being squashed against a pole with about a dozen other people so we left that picture for them.

The last thing we did for the day out was Pizza Hut, which we got the train home and then drove to Maidstone to get to. Just because we didn't want to get lost in London trying to find one! 14" cheesy bite BBQ meatfeast with unlimited salad, unlimited Pepsi Max and a warm cookie with ice cream. All for less than £25, so what's not to like?

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment