Tuesday 5 March 2013

Minecraft Xbox 360 Edition




Minecraft is a game that took the gaming world by storm upon release. Just going on YouTube, there are so many different channels dedicated to Minecraft content. I am posting this on a netbook but I used to use a 17" laptop which I got for my 14th birthday. I bought the game when it was in beta version and very much enjoyed playing it. Unfortunately, the laptop stopped working so well and I had to give up playing at 3 frames per second. I was very excited when I found out that it was to be ported over to the 360.


Minecraft is a freeroam advernture survival game which allows you to explore your creativity and build almost anything. The game is very popular on computer with thousands of mods being created to allow for a personal experience. This includes things such as a portal gun mod to simple things which change how the game looks for you. The game also supports multiplayer so you create things with your friends. You can also share your worlds with other people so they can have their own copy.

On the Xbox version, you are more limited to what you can do. The map generates to a fixed size which you can't expand upon (so far, future updates might change this) which means you will have a finite amount of resources to work with. There is still plenty of room to do anything you want in the world and also supports multiplayer. In the last couple of updates, creative mode was added which allows unlimited resources to be used. There are also options when generating your world which can create something you would prefer.

I watch a lot of YouTube videos from people such as the Yogscast and Ethoslab and they create very large and extravagant builds. I really fancied giving myself a big project and hopefully getting my other half involved as she had created her own world and enjoyed adding stuff to that. I decided to give myself a blank canvas by using the super-flat option and building something resembling a city. The following images are screenshots from my game showing what we have done so far. Turns out if you share something to Facebook from Minecraft, you get a free premium theme unlocked on your console - something for you to try.


This first image shows the first two buildings I created. The first is the tallest of the three which is an office block. I wanted to start quite big and an office is the first thing that came into my mind. The biggest problem I thought I would face would be ideas, turns out I was right. The building has 6 floors including the ground floor. A reception, 3 floors of office booths, a kitchen and penthouse for the CEO. I added a water fountain to the front and a car park to the side with a retractable barrier. The building across from that is a hotel. This has 5 floors including the ground floor. It has a reception, bar, restaurant, four rooms per floor until the top floor which is two larger rooms. Each floor has a communal balcony accept the top floor which is private for the largest room. There is also a swimming pool on the back. The only problem with the world being super-flat is that the dirt is only 3 blocks thick meaning the pool couldn't have a deep and shallow end. The building in the foreground is Amy's addition to the map so far which is a little bakery. There's a screenshot which I will put in later on.



This next area shows the centre of the map. It's a large park area about 80 blocks square. It took a long time to mark the roads out and put up all the street lights. I then dug out the water area, lined it with gravel and filled it with water. I then created the paths using gravel creating separate areas. All the trees are hand placed and then I added all the long grass. There's a picnic areas and cauldrons scattered around to act as bins. There isn't too much to say about this area but I am pleased with it. In the background are two other builds which I'll discuss down below. The left hand building is an art gallery and the other is an ice skating ring.



This image shows the inside of the cake shop which pixelamy built. She wanted the roof to be made of glass so that the shop would open and close when there was daylight inside. She added little tables in and a glass counter with cakes. Behind the back wall there is a kitchen as well with all the ingredients to bake inside.



This is the bottom floor of the art gallery. I made most of it out of snow and smooth stone to make it look art deco-y. I created the displays with snow as well and glass panes which are thinner to make them look more like barriers. I made the rooms tall so they felt quite airy and spacious. The upstairs included sculptures out of fence posts and random things, nothing too special. The walls are mainly glass apart from the back wall which is all stone.


This little area is next the art gallery. Its an ice skating ring. I thought this would be a good thing to add in because it was more of an outdoor thing and easy to do. I myself don't really like ice skating. I've been twice before and all I've ended up with is a bad back from falling over and hurting myself and sore feet! Inside the building with the ice skate on it is a load of chests for different sizes of shoe.. I'll probably just fill them up with gold boots or something.




These pictures are of the largest building on the map. Its a library which I wanted to face the park. It turned out to be bigger than the park itself so thinking about scale it my be a tad too big. At the end of the day we think it looks amazing so we don't really care! I want to create something very grand. The area out the front includes fountains and patterns on the floor. I wanted the archways to be symmetrical as well as the entrances so I had to plan a lot to make it all fit in. The bottom image of the two is the inside of the library which gives you an idea of the size of it. Inside there is an automated entrance system. There are plenty of book cases, there are 'computers' under the stairs at the back. There's a large water feature in the middle with seating. There are private booths under the walkway at the sides and more seating on the walkway. It took a very long time to do the floors and walls just due to the sheer size of the building but I hope you agree - it was worth it.



This last image is a picture of the secret cult base underneath the library behind a moving book case. I want this to be included mainly to have a play with redstone as I have little experience with it. I included potion stands and enchanting tables to make it have a cultish feel. There is also a door to the rest of the are under the library for further expansion.

I hope you enjoyed this tour type thing of our little world. Should be adding more to it when we think of some ideas. If you want to have a proper look, add me on Live (iMaticus) and you can have a better look around. I'll also link to my flickr which has this pictures in full size as well.

Thanks for reading!

Thanks to gamerfront.net for the image of the title screen.
Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/imaticus/sets/72157632882837606/

No comments:

Post a Comment