Tuesday 19 March 2013

The Second Time Round

I think that replay value is a very important when a writer or developer creates something. TV programs and movies I would say have a much easier boat than games in this area. Many shops and online places have an abundance of DVDs, Blurays and even videos for us oldies. TV programs are only around for so long, usually only being on once. Then maybe on a plus one channel or on demand which will eventually disappear after 30 days. Films will be advertised and shown in cinemas for about a month. Then that's it until it comes out on DVD for you to buy and watch again. Films can take up to a year to get onto the shelves and I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same for TV programs. After that amount of time, you can go back to it and watch it again quite happily. What I have found is that I am happy to hold onto a DVD knowing I will probably watch it in the future again or someone I know might want to watch it. When it comes to games, this isn't the case.


Ageless comedy. Unfortunately for me it's Amy's..

When buying a game, you don't have a lot of ideas to go off of. You see a trailer, you might watch someone else play it or try it out at a friends. Once you've got it, that's your first impression. The game is then what you make of it. Once you've finished it, what is going to make you keep playing it? Sure there's the argument of multiplayer being the continuation of the game but what about the single player story which the developers probably spent the majority of time on. The Call of Duty games have a massive following, I used to be part of that craze but I can honestly say I've lost interest. The online game is just as repetitive as me playing through the story-line every day. What keeps me playing games is achievements. I feel awarded for unlocking these challenges and being awarded points for it. But once I have finished all of these challenges - what is then holding me to the game? Games where you can create your own game depending on choices you make appeal the most to me. Games such as Skyrim where your character can branch off to anywhere you desire. The game with the largest replay factor for me is Dark Souls. The complete open free roam of the world and the unlimited choices of character equipment makes every play through different. I still play it now.


A bit of an old picture now, but this is a picture of my sisters dog Lola at Christmas. She has had a little outfit every Christmas and this year it was a reindeer. Last year it was a little Santa outfit which I will try find a picture of because it's quite funny. She seems fine with anything popped on her head or the coats on her back. Doggy socks and shoes on the other hand - hates them.

So I posted on Facebook and Twitter for an idea to include in my post. Today Amy suggested I talk about food poisoning which was nice assuming we were cooking chicken at the time. I don't think I have ever had food poisoning. The closest I've come to it is probably when I drank a tin of cider which had been open for a day or two. Thought it would be fine but turns out it wasn't! I couldn't get to sleep with my tummy feeling all bubbly until I was sick. I now stay away from the drink in question which I won't mention because I don't want to give it bad press as it is a nice drink.



A picture similar to this has made it's way onto pages like Fail Blog and other Facebook groups but I actually drove past and saw this myself. The irony of it is quite beautiful. Don't worry, the red stuff on the floor is radiator fluid not blood so its all good.

Thanks for reading my blog today. Send me your ideas as I would very much like to include a story from your ideas. Blog you later!



No comments:

Post a Comment