Monday 25 March 2013

My Favourite Movies

For those of you who saw my post yesterday, I posted spoke about my top 5 games. Amy then suggested that I do a top 5 film series. I just counted my DVDs and I have a collection of 102 which is strange thinking I have enough to keep me going for about 9 days back to back. Once again, these are in no particular order, they are just the 5 which I feel like I could keep watching over and over again and not get bored. I'll try to include the trailers where I can find them, if it's a series, I shall include the trailer to the first film. Or I will have to spam you with YouTube when you are probably here to read.

1. Ghostbusters 1-2
These films are my childhood basically. I was obsessed with Ghostbusters, I had loads of toys and I always wanted to play Ghostbusters when it was lunch time at primary school. If I was ill, I'd watch Ghostbusters. If I was bored - I think you can see where I am going with this. Now don't get me wrong, I know it's not amazingly animated and all that compared to standards set by today's cinema but I just love it. Amy bought me a box set with both films on DVD for Christmas and I think it was one of my favourite presents. I've already watched them about 3 times each and it always makes me smile. There's not a thing I don't like about them apart from the fact that they only made 2! There are rumours floating around the internet about Ghostbusters 3 but I'm not sure if that would be a good idea. A lot of younger children haven't even heard of them any more and the original actors wouldn't be able to do as much action as in the previous films. If they remade it - I would probably see it. Wouldn't beat the original though.



2. Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World
I remember when I saw this film, screen 2 at Odeon Maidstone with my friend. Screen 2 is pretty small and it was a while after release date so we had most of the cinema empty and we were laughing so loud that I think it was a good thing. Adapted from the animated novels, Scott Pilgrim was fighting for the love of Ramona Flowers but had to defeat her seven evil ex's. I wasn't sure what to expect with this film with what started out as quite a quirky love story, turned into a crazy action packed arcade game style film. The thing that makes this film so good is that Scott doesn't find it at all strange that he has to fight all these people to date a girl. How strange the world of cinema is. It has definitely tempted me to have a look at some graphic novels, especially as Waterstones now stocks them as standard where they used to be special requests. The Walking Dead graphic novel looks amazing - by the way.



3. LOTR - Lord Of The Rings
I bought the complete trilogy on DVD for my parents for Christmas as they love it and had to watch it on VHS. I watched all of the films in the cinema with my Dad and it was one of the only films I've known him to not fall asleep in (sorry Dad) even though they are some of the longest we saw. It was pretty intense the relationship which which you managed to create with the characters throughout the series. If you know someone who has got the extended versions, I would recommend you set aside 5 hours of your life and watch them properly. So much got cut from each film because they condensed each book down into one. I got pretty excited when I heard about The Hobbit as I have actually read that book, but now I know that is also being split into 3, I can't help but feel its a money grabbing scheme. The Hobbit is thinner than any of the LOTR books yet it's getting 3 films to itself. I know they have a bigger budget and all that now but that's just how I feel about it.



4. Paranormal Activity 1-4
I saw the first one in a the cinema with a group of 10 friends including me. We were late and we had to sit right at the front in the last seat available. Was quite convenient that there was 10 seats left to be fair as it was the last showing. After the film, some of the girls were shaking and the guys were pretending to shrug it off - I got told that I looked really bored through the whole film even though I loved it. I like how the films are all low budget and filmed with security and hand held cameras. It meant the producers had to implement some really clever effects at first before they could afford more fancy effects in the later movies. Great film to watch as a couple or with a group of friends and the story line is really good. The anticipation created is amazing and you really feel it. They are directed very well and move away from traditional horror conventions where you would usually know what happens. It would appear that a fifth film has been announced according to IMDB and should be released October this year.



5. Indiana Jones 1-4
Strange choice you might think? I remember watching these back in the day where you could record TV onto a video. We had one of them videos with a massive capacity and managed to have all three of the originals on it. The fourth ones release came as a bit of a surprise and a lot of people don't like it. I for one quite enjoy it, it's got a good story and Indiana Jones who was pretty spry for his age. I also liked how they could make fun of how old he was like they know it was a bit strange to bring him back. The only thing that ruined it for me was that there were aliens in it - that just didn't fit with the originals mainly based around religion and ancient magic. None the less, they are all good and it's a film that I would always watch with my parents on a bank holiday or something. I think the second is my favourite but for a lot of people, there are only 3 Indiana Jones movies.


(Couldn't find an original trailer)

So there we have it. Another top 5 which is as controversial as ever. I had some conversations with people after they read my post about my favourite games so I hope to hear what you think.

I might be posting about Black Ops II or Blops 2 as some are calling it as I have just got my hands on it. I know it is a bit late but.. Why not?


Oh look, its another cat picture internet. I was looking out my window a while ago and I thought - there's something on my car. Turns out it was my cat, I can only presume it's because the car was warm because I had just got in. The lovely thing was he had muddy paws and made my car all dirty. Well dirtier than usual.

Thanks for reading today, let me know your favourite films. I might have overseen some and you can slap me with your words. Blog you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment