Friday 22 March 2013

Zombie Nation

Zombies everywhere! That would be scary.

The idea of a zombie originated in the early 1900's in Haiti when a woman who was presumed dead reappeared in a village. Another 'zombie' appeared in 1980 after claiming to have died in 1962. He proved who he was by answering questions about his family that only a father could have known. It was decided that he was a zombie - a resurrected human. The likely thing that happened was that he was misdiagnosed, pronounced dead and then wandered around lost for many years. Medicine was not as developed as it is today, especially in Haiti being cut off from the rest of the world. The idea of humans being resurrected obviously attracted the attention of scientists who wanted to investigate. A scientist known as Wade Davis discovered something called Haitian Zombie Powder created from toxins of puffer fish and toads and some human remains. The toxins had wondrous effects on the human body. Generally, they should kill you. It was obviously shown that not everyone died. The toxins can cause complete paralysis which would make you unresponsive to anything anyone did to try and help you. They also made you appear dead - weakened your pulse and stopped your irises changing due to light. I presume they disposed of the body, eventually they would come back round and boom - zombie. It was often claimed that a 'bokor' or witch doctor brought them back to life. We'll probably find that they poisoned the zombie and then claimed to have given them life. Power hungry people. But then again, we will never know - happened a while ago.
Here's where I got this information:
http://science.howstuffworks.com/science-vs-myth/strange-creatures/zombie.htm


Zombie Flesh Eaters (1979) Poster
http://www.imdb.co.uk/title/tt0080057/

So you're probably wondering what the hell I'm going on about zombies for. It's because zombies are everywhere today. Not real ones as far as we know but in games, films and books. They are the classic culprit of the lone survivor story and when added to most games, makes it better. A university in America even has a zombie action plan as part of the school official security measures. There are YouTube channels dedicated to zombie survival guides, about how to make weapons out of household objects and where to go. With the 'zombie' attacks in America last year, I was wondering - is there really any backing to these zombie worries?
Here's a link to an article on The Sun's website about the attacks (caution, not such a lovely picture of one of the victims)

With these attacks that occurred last year, it's safe to say that something made these people act this way. Doctors obviously decided that these people were not in the right state of mind and acted out in reaction to something that was in their heads. With this new craze of zombie culture, that might be the only thing which they thought of. Then we have these zombie attacks. All speculations obviously because I have no clue how a brain works. 

For a zombie to be a zombie as we see in films and games, it would have to be a reanimated corpse. Classically, it is always blamed on some sort of virus infecting the body. So we are looking at a virus that can live in a lifeless body that can also reanimate our bodies. And make us really hungry and cannibalistic. I really honestly don't think it's possible. Some illnesses can make us act different but to influence a deceased person seems really far fetched to me. The only way I could see this happening is through human engineering, and if that ever happens what has the world come to? It's scary what we can do these days with genetics, apparently we are starting to grow meat as the worlds population beats the supply.
Here are some links to articles which claim a zombie outbreak could happen. Interesting stuff. Plus they explain it a lot better than I do - bit too confusing for me.

http://www.wherethefairieslive.com/2012_03_01_archive.html

So this is a the bit where I talk about something you wanted me to talk about. I mentioned yeserday a friend which has sent me a load of good articles, I've picked one of them today. Its about.. *drum role*.. Man flu! From my personal experience, I've never had a problem with a sniffle. I get a cold and I carry on regardless. If it's a particularly bad one I will take a little breather but stuff needs doing. It's quite strange this whole idea of man flu to me as everyone in my family is the same, they'll just carry on. Generally, people will always complain about men collapsing into bed with man flu. Interestingly, this article showed that off the people asked, women are 16% more likely to take time out for a cold. It doesn't really mean anything. Everyone is different and a cold will hit everyone in a different way. Where it may not bother me, it could make someone else feel like the pits of the Earth. I'd just say do whatever gets you better so you can then get on with something else. Maybe working towards your next cold?
Here's the article!


My cats back. He's so fat. Well I did catch him cleaning himself. He likes to sit right in front of the free view box so that the control doesn't work. The central heating pipe runs right under there so it is a very warm place to lay. Lazy thing.

Thanks for reading. Very random subject today but I would like to think that I am not the only one thinking about it. I guess I will find out. Blog you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment