Tuesday 5 March 2013

Changes and some old tech

First things first, I was running two blogs. This one and another about gaming but I decided that I would consolidate them both into one which is what all the posts from the other blog are now on this page. I just thought it would be easier for me to keep track and for anyone that wants to read them as they are all now in one place!


* * * * *

It's safe to say I felt like I woke up in a different country today. The weather is perfect for me, not too hot with a nice breeze. It seems to have put everyone in a good mood today and I can definitely say the same for myself.

Started off as a normal Tuesday heading to the shops to get magazines for people as it is magazine day. Had an amazing lunch prepared by my wonderful girlfriend - pixelamy - toasted ciabatta bread with diced tomatoes and onions with sweet chili sauce. That went down a treat and I even managed her left overs so I was feeling rather greedy. I know it doesn't look like the most amazing thing in the world but it tastes so good. It's basically our own twist of bruschetta just with less olive oil and sweet chili instead of vinegar.


Ant and Dec's Saturday night take away has returned but we missed it this weekend as we were at a friends house which I will talk about further down or in a gaming post.. Whichever seems more appropriate. We thought we would have a look at the undercover as it looked amazing from the preview the week before. Even if you don't watch the show, you've got to watch this as it's just brilliant!

* * * * *

I first started posting to blogger on my netbook which I bought during sixth form for school work. It runs well and does what I want it to do but for my 14th birthday I decided to by myself my first laptop. I am posting from this laptop right now after giving it a good sorting out last night. I spent about an hour uninstalling programs that were useless, deleting old files and pictures I didn't need and tweaking with settings to make it run faster. Now it seems to be working pretty well which I am very pleased with. It lets me run Minecraft (very slowly) which I bought in 2010 and have never been able to use properly. I'm hoping that it will have enough computer power to run a capture device for when I start a YouTube channel. I remember the day I bought it because my brother kept telling me to make sure I didn't get the bad version of Windows Vista loaded on to whatever I bought. My Mum and Dad took me to PC World and I bought this laptop for about £350 down from £500. It's not too powerful in terms of what £350 could get you today but it has always served me well. You can see in the picture that I was actually typing this post at the time. It feels massive at the moment because I am so used to a 10" screen and this has a 17" screen. The battery life is only 2 hours which sucks a bit, I blame the screen.


* * * * *

I would like to quickly touch on the Blogger App which I have found to be a great help. It's very simple and allows you to post from anywhere with an internet connection. I mainly use it for adding pictures in as you can literally just add a picture and it will upload it to the web. I can then easily edit the pictures size and placement on a laptop to create the finished product. For anyone planning on blogging, I would definitely give the app a go as it helped convince me.

* * * * *

Fact Sheet:
http://sci.esa.int/science-e/www/area/index.cfm?fareaid=16
If you haven't guessed already, I'm quite interested in space. Upon visiting the BBC News science page today, the space telescope Herschel is expected to go blind sometime this month. The telescope has been taking pictures of far off stars and galaxies since 2009 and has helped scientists to learn about star birth. The equipment on board needs to be super cooled to work effectively and the helium coolant on board is expected to run out this month which will stop the telescope working. It's a great shame that this vital piece of equipment will be going out of service, especially as the launch of another isn't likely with Herschel costing a hefty 2 billion Euros. Despite this, the telescope has already taken thousands and thousands of pictures which will keep those looking up very busy for now.
BBC News article
ESA

Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed. Please share in any way you can!

No comments:

Post a Comment