Friday 15 March 2013

Am I in the game?

So I've been going on about this idea of making my face in game for about a week and I actually got around to trying it out today. Turns out it is really hard, my face isn't very friendly in terms of the customization tools used to create a custom character. I tried it out in Skyrim, Mass Effect 3, Fallout and Dark Souls. All have very different and unique customization processes. If they were all mashed together into one then I'm pretty sure you could get a good representation of your own face. As they are now.. Well you'll see.


So first I went for Skyrim because all of the Elder Scrolls games have had customization as the game is basically whatever you can make of it. The game provided you with different preset features and then the ability to move them around on your characters face. You can change the skin colour, hair colour and obviously hairstyles. The only thing which made it harder is that the game is set in a medieval setting so a lot of the features are those from an older time period. I think you'll agree it really doesn't look like me all that much.



I next tried Fallout New Vegas because Bethesda made Skyrim as well so I assumed I would be getting much the same experience. Turns out that Fallout has basically only a single choice of each facial feature. All you can do is change the dimensions and locations on the face. It's very limiting to not have other preset shapes to manipulate but I would say this one is a better representation as you can choose an age as well. Still pretty awful.



Next I went for Mass Effect 3. A game heavily based on what you want to experience from the game. I also discovered that there are three game modes on it that I didn't know about. Action - allows you to skip most of the story line and just kill stuff. RPG - classic Mass Effect. Story - easy combat with emphasis on the story. I imported my character from ME2 so I can't remember if I got the choice to change that or not. This also didn't turn out so well because obviously the character is supposed to be ex military. This means that they'd be big and butch with neat hair and features etc. I'm not like that so.. This is what I got.


Last of all I went for Dark Souls. It's a game that not many people have heard of, it's really big in Japan. Compared to more standard games, this one is exceptionally hard which is probably why it's not so popular but I enjoy it. I was very surprised at the level of customization available. All this game has ever done is surprise me with how good it is. You can keep going deeper into the facial features with there being multiple options for each feature. Once again it was just a single uniform feature to mess around with but there's still a lot of different things to be done with it. Once again not a very close representation of me at all. Also I'm really not sure why there are pointy bits missing out of my cheeks. Yeah.


So I think the answer to the question - Am I in the game? - is no. Unless you have a very simple pixel friendly face then I don't think it's possible to get a good representation of your own face. I'm pretty sure the customization was put in to make a character you would be happy to play as rather than having no choice. Or to make someone completely bizarre that will most likely never exist. Oh well, I gave it a go. Turns out that I could make my cat in the game. My cat. Again. 

Well, they took me a couple of hours to make fiddling around. This post then took me about an hour as well. For the rest of the day I think I shall grab some lunch as my tummy is grumbling. Then I think I will watch Gladiator which everyone must see at least once in their life. I bought it ages ago when all of the Universal 100th Anniversary boxes were released. It has since sat in my DVD pile in its cardboard slip, still wrapped in plastic. Time to change that! I'm also thinking of doing some drawing at the same time. Get some more of that done. Then I have work from 4pm - 10pm. Then it's the weekend. WEEKEND!

Thanks for reading. Send me ideas of what you want to read about. Blog ya later.

No comments:

Post a Comment