Monday 17 November 2014

BBC iWonder, the Jungle and Papers, Please

Just to start.. I really have no clue how the Apple TV works. Yesterday when I had the extended desktop on, the audio played out of the MacBook. Today, it is playing out of the TV. Which I had forgot to turn down and it made me jump just a tad.

I was downstairs watching some TV and saw an advert for this new BBC thing called BBC iWonder and it basically a free site with a load of random questions you may or may not have thought about in your day to day being. I quite fancied having a look because I would assume as it is by the BBC, it is going to be accurate and informative. The first one I came across which attracted my interests was the following about sci-fi literature:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/timelines/zp7dwmn


Now, I think it is safe to say off the bat, that sci-fi is not everyones cup of tea. I personally, very much enjoy the genre whether that be book or film. I was having a look through, as this was done as a time line with influential books and pieces scattered around. The very first of which was Gulliver's Travels which was recently remade staring Jack Black. Now, I know a lot of people would look at that and say its a fantasy novel - personally I agree. It was included because of the themes of sci-fi within the novel about predictions of things that science could produce in the future.

Another on there which I know most people around about my age will know of is Frankenstein's Monster because they love throwing it at you in your English GCSE. I remember sitting in class waiting for your turn to come up to read a page and if you were lucky enough to get the half and third pages before you talk about how the story reflected the troubled times and this, that and the other. I always remembered not liking that side of English because dissecting a book kind of takes the magic out when you know it is talking about something sad in someones life and stuff. I always preferred reading it for enjoyments sakes.

There are other known ones in there such as Day of the Triffids, Blade Runner and a Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy. Interesting stuff. For me anyway.

Just having a look through there are loads and loads of different things on there. A load of stuff from Brian Cox which I will enjoy having a look through, all the space stuff that he is so well known for. There are random thing about bees, historical posts about wars and even the odd ones about spiders having super powers. Of course.


Watched Celebrity today, of course. I enjoy the fact that it has been running for a while and yet they seem to be able to change it up every year and add new things like the jail. It is also quite interesting to watch at the moment because the tensions aren't high and everyone is deliberately trying to get on to make it comfortable. It is also interesting to watch because it is basically a social experiment, to see how people react to these poor conditions.

I said it yesterday, it is a lot easier for us to sit here and make decisions without actually being in that situation. For example, today the celeb chose to release someone from the jail rather than having nice food for the camp. Which I totally agree with, I think it is fairer to have them out with the others rather than in there.. And also I can't imagine eating porridge day in day out. As soon as he came back and said that is the decision he had made - even though everyone else had said the same bar one before he told them of the decision - you could see that slight look of remorse on their faces. The 'I was hoping he could make the mean choice' look.

And that girl for TOWIE is doing my head in. Blagh.

Day 503
It is pretty hard to think of something new to take a picture of every day. Even though there is so much stuff for me to look at just by turning my head I can never quite point at one thing and think - thats the picture I want to share today.

So what might it be today you ask? Nothing exciting in all honesty. I have been making notes from the HTML stuff that I am learning and I just looked at them and thought.. It all just looks like a load of gibberish really. Just things between tags and definitions and all that jazz. That is how I learn though, physically doing it and writing it down. I always used to copy stuff out when I was at school and just sort of kept going until it was stuck in there. I think it will be quite exciting to actually apply this to some soft of web designing tool once I have it all done. Now I have more resources available as well, I can learn even more things which will be nice. One day I might even have my own hosted site?


Just had a look at the HTML for this post - looks nothing like what I know. Maybe it is done in html5?

I got thrown in jail on Papers, Please. I was getting on well from what I could tell, I was on day 15 or so I think? A guy gave me a coin which it gave me the choice to cash in for 1000 credits which I was well up for, anyone who has played it will know that is actually quite a lot so.. I moved to a posher district. I then moved back because of issues and then my neighbours ratted me out for being rich. I then got thrown in prison. Ending 4 of 20.


I must say I am so impressed by this game, the fact it is so simplistic but has all these other elements thrown in to actually make for quite a deep gameplay experience. I am also very impressed with how easily they can jump the complexity of the game up by adding a single rule in. For example, at the point in the game I was I had 9 different rule which meant I had 3 different documents to check per person sometimes. This would include the date, height, weight, appearance, reason, time scales.. And you have to do this accurately and still try to make enough to go up in the world and keep your family fed and warm! I can clearly see why this game gained many a positive review and I am glad my colleague recommended it to me. Plus it was half price - always nice. The sound track is really simple but really sets the feel for the game as well, as a final comment. It really gives you that.. Dictator-y feel. If that is a thing.

Thanks. Again. Blog. You. Later. People.

No comments:

Post a Comment