Tuesday 4 November 2014

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth

Day 491
So. I have been waiting for today for a while. Some of you may know that one of my favourite games of all time is The Binding of Isaac. Today, the sequel came out which is The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth and my God - it was worth the wait. I have only done about.. 5 runs? I've loved every second of it. I did die on three of them but oh well. You are bound to die sometime.

The only problems at the moment, as to be expected with any game at release, I have come across two bugs. The first is that if you go into the options menu and change the game to full screen is then constantly switches from one to the other and you can't stop it. I ended up clearing by closing the screen of the Mac, reopening it and that seemed to stop it. Another is that at the moment it does not seem to recognise a touchpad as being a mouse.. I went into the items list to look through some of the new ones to see if I could work out what they actually did but because this isn't recognised - you can have a look at any. You can see the tiny icon but that is about it.

The first Mom fight I won I got carried it is safe to say. I managed to get all 3 Guppy items in one deal with the devil so from there.. Easy.

The run I completed before typing this post I used one of the new characters Azazel who is just so powerful. From what I can tell. Azazel is like Blue Baby in the sense of you start with negative HP. On the other hand, you do start out with the capability of flying and like.. I short beamed brimstone? Best I can describe it? As you can see form the screen shot below - it looks badass. It also emits light to the surroundings as well which is a nice touch.


Hopefully this picture will also give you an idea of the sort of graphics style which they have moved into. The previous game was amazing in itself but this new style suits it even better, personally anyway. The music has been redone also which once again - brilliant. I like how this game has the exact same story and gameplay but doesn't fail to be huge amounts of fun already.

I am going to discuss some new features which I have come across at the moment, I am trying to stay offline so I can actually work some things out for myself.

There appears to be 'dark' spirit hearts? They act exactly the same as normal spirit hearts apart from when they are damaged to a full heart, they damage all enemies in the room sort of like a fail safe. Azazel starts off with three of these apposed to three spirit hearts.

Where previously there used to be maximum of five flies that could follow you between rooms - no longer exists. When I had the Guppy run, it allowed me to take at least 15 between rooms. I didn't really stop to count because I just wanted to throw all of my flies at someone.

There is this absolutely ridiculous new room which I found after fighting Moms Heart for the first time.. See below..


As you can see, there is a choice of four items. I didn't know at the time that you would only get to take one so otherwise I would have gone for the wafer. I tool the top left item which is some sort of immortal helper, pretty sure he dishes out constant soul hearts when taking damage or something.. I don't really know at the moment. But once you take the item, you have to fight about 20 bosses, two at a time! Luckily by this point I had managed to stack to max health - as you can no longer have health off the screen. I had also stacked loads of damage upgrades which allowed me to tank most hits and destroy everything. Towards the end I couldn't tell enemy from floor because it was covered in blood and bits. I don't know if there are any special requirements to unlock this room but I think it should only be attempted if you are feeling ballsy and have a strong run. When you beat the room, you get a dice which allows you to reroll enemies. Enemies! Doesn't work on bosses from what I can tell but.. Wow.

I don't really know what is going on with shops any more.. There is a donations machine which I can only assume upgrades the shop? Maybe? Currently, there has always been a battery in the for five cents but I have never been able to pic it up. I have also noticed that some other enemies drop these batteries but once again they can't be picked up.. Then again.. Thinking about it.. I did get a new trinket called Broken Remote so maybe they'll fix it.

I will definitely want to film some of this. I love, love, love the fact you can have three saves! That way I can just jump on and play or if I want to record a series I can use another save. Keeps in consistent on YouTube!

I am now going to go and play as Eden who I just unlocked.. She seemed to be the harder character to unlock so I am guessing she will assist in unlocked some awesome stuff. I will let you know. Sorry about this post, I know it won't be to everyones taste who reads but. I just had so much to talk about as you can see! And I must be happy with it because I typed all this out in just 15 minutes.. Blog you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment